top of page

Match Report: Melksham Town vs Larkhall Athletic

Match Report: Melksham Town vs Larkhall Athletic

The first piece of midweek action for a long time for the first team took place on Tuesday night at Oakfield’s; the New Year’s Day postponed fixture against Larkhall Athletic was finally set to be played, with just weeks left of the season. Fey’s side have been on a good run of late - a series of clean sheets and an unbeaten run at Oakfield’s thats lasted since mid January, the lads are looking to have a strong finish to the season.

Typically of Oakfield’s, there was a swirling wind and cold temperatures as the game kicked off. This always makes it a battle to get control of the game for both sides; as the players adapt to the wind, mistakes are easy to come by however chances are harder to take. Larkhall were the first side to test a ‘keeper, with Manny Idem tipping over well from a dipping effort. Next it was Town’s turn to attack, however Jay Malshanskyj could only find the side netting from a good position. Just a few moments later, Manny Idem had to get down well to his left to deny Larkhall once again and palm an effort behind for a corner.

However, despite the end to end start of the game, Town began to find their feet and control possession more, whilst Larkhall were happy to try and catch the hosts on the break. This was a test of patience from both sides, as well as a test of patience for the Town faithful as chances were hard to come by. However, Town couldnt unlock a stern Larkhall defence before the break, meaning the scoreline remained goalless at half-time.

Town continued the second half looking to dominate the visitors, this time they would be hoping to create more in front of goal too, and the early signs were promising as Hopkins’ was inches from finding Hendy at the back post for a free header. The next real chance came from another Hendy header; Covil’s cross was perfect for the forward to head home, but the Larks ‘keeper somehow manged to keep it out.

The feeling inside Oakfield’s for the second half was definitely more hopeful than the first, as wave after wave of Town attacks came in. However it was the visitors who nearly nicked it, with Demkiv missing a great chance for his side late on.

In the end either side were unable to find the golden touch to get the 3 points, so they’d have to settle for a goalless draw. Another clean sheet for Fey’s side, the third in a row and fourth in the last five league outings. The side will now face another tough test away in Winchester on Saturday - the penultimate away fixture of the season, and a chance to keep the momentum going into next season.

By Lewie Simmons


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page