top of page

Match Report: Melksham Town V Frome Town

Match Report: Melksham Town v Frome Town

Bank holiday Monday brought the second fixture in as many days for Town, and the arrival of so far undefeated Frome Town, who were off the back of a 2-0 win against SlimbridgeAFC just two days prior. Melksham made one change to the starting XI who beat Barnstaple on Saturday, with Ralph Graham replacing the injured Sam Hendy.

With a recent rivalry developing between the two sides, the game started in a fiery fashion; after just 5 minutes former Town player Jonathon Davies was given a yellow card for a tangle with Melksham midfielder Aiden Chainey. The Frome star was flagged by the linesman for what looked like a stamp on the Melksham midfielder following a tackle.

The events of the opening stages certainly fired up the intensity, as a few minutes later Melksham captain Greg Tindle was booked for a heavy challenge in midfield, and both sides were searching for an opener. Melksham went close in the 17th minute when Phil Ormrod latched onto a bouncing ball, but his strike could only find the side netting.

However, it was Frome who took the lead when JonothanDavies, who some would argue that he was lucky to still be on the pitch, forced ‘keeper Matt Hall into a fine save only for Frome’s George Rigg to follow up with a tidy finish.

Following Frome’s opener, the game settled down after a frantic opening, and the closest the game came to a second goal was when Matt Hurley struck from distance, but it flew just high of the goal. With this, the half-time whistle sounded, and Frome went in a goal in front.

Melksham certainly hadn’t given up on the game when they came out for the second half, starting on the front foot by dominating both possession and territory. However, this left Melksham exposed at the back, and the pace and quality of Frome’s front line ran riot; scoring twice in five minutes to take the game away from Melksham. First of all, Jonathon Davies went through on goal and finished past Matt Hall in the 54th minute, then James Ollis added the third in similar fashion in the 59th.

Despite the risk of Frome adding further goals, Melksham still looked to dominate the play and try get a foothold back in the game. Town also produced a couple of chances in the closing stages, with Will Christopher striking from a freekick and forcing Frome ‘keeper James Carey into tipping it behind for a corner. Then it was Malshankyj who had a chance with a header following a superb cross from Jamie Bremner, but he couldn’t get the connection he needed to nod it past the ‘keeper.

The referee blew for full-time, and it was a joyous occasion for the many Frome fans who travelled, as their unbeaten start to the season continued with a 3-0 victory. For Melksham it was a tough one to take as they saw a lot of the ball and had a few good chances to narrow the score line.

A much-needed break now for the Town side who have played a lot of football already this season and will be ready to go again when they travel to Bristol Manor Farm, on the 11th of September.

By Lewie Simmons


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page